Sunday, April 15, 2012

Natural Colorant : Madder Root Powder

I finally purchased Madder Root Powder after reading that the powder creates colors that range from pink to mauve. The powder actually seems more like a dark coppery orange so I was surprised to read that it turns pink.  

I decided not to infuse the oils first as I wanted to see what the soap would like like with the specks.  At around the 20 minute mark, the solution began to create the waves.  The solution at this point is a light pink, and I wonder if that's what the color of the final product.


I then stirred the solution, slowly, until it became a porridge like consistency, covered and left it alone. 


 When I use the hot process method, I hover.  I once had a mixture bubble over so quickly that it got all over the kitchen counter (luckily not onto the floor) before I could move the crock pot into the sink.  I have a dog and a cat and even though my dog is fairly well behaved and stays out of the kitchen when I tell him, the cat is a bit more independent.  The thought of either of them getting scalded by the caustic solution horrifies me.

I stirred the solution three more times - this process usually takes an hour - before reaching the final stage - soap!  I know when it's ready if after I stir the solution the surface turns solid and white.  I then proceed with the tongue test and usually there's no zap.


If you compare the first picture and the last picture, the soap is darker at the end of the soap making process.  My hope is that once it's cooled down, it'll turn back into the original light shade of pink.

And here's the proof of soap when I fill the crock pot with water, and I see the wonderful soapy bubbles.


THE NEXT DAY

The soap did indeed turn into the lovely pale shade of pink!  I used the soap last night and boy, what lather!  And, my skin felt nice and soft.  I used a mix of soy oil, olive oil, coconut oil, palm kernel flakes, sunflower oil and castor oil.

I prefer to use less than five base ingredients but in this case, I was experimenting with what I had available and it turned out to be a pretty good combination (always write down what you use so you can repeat it if it turns out better than you expected).


Since I didn't scent this soap, I plan on rebatching half and adding 1/4 tsp madder root powder (to see if it'll turn a darker pink or mauve) and geranium rose fragrance oil. 


No comments:

Post a Comment