Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tube Mold

I purchased a tube mold (from Goplanetearth - great resource for soap supplies) and decided to make a one pound cold process soap. Image below is the store's stock image that I'm including to show what the tube looks like since I ruined the one I used.  



I didn't follow the instruction to oil the inside and no matter what I did (I even stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes), I couldn't push the soap out and in my frustration, just threw it away.

My husband rescued the soap saying there had to be way to get it out.  I decided to cut the tube and successfully removed the soap.  I stared at the tube and thought about how I could reuse it.  If I taped the exterior and trace until the soap is thick, I should be able to use the tube again.


The soap created was colored with an ultramarine violet oxide pigment and scented with violet fragrance oil


I took a close up picture because there are brown spots where the fragrance oil sped up trace and hardened the soap.


 I'll post when I try the tube again, taped up!

July 22, 2012

I tried the mold again with hot processed soap and it worked okay, but I think this mold is best used for melt and pour soaps.  I'm going to look into flat silicone round molds instead.  

P.S. I tried inserting parchment paper into the tube but it kept curling.  Just not meant to be for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment