Sunday, July 22, 2012

Shampoo Bar and Hair Conditioner

I don't know why it took me so long to make a shampoo bar and hair conditioner.  All I can say is that I can't stop running my hands through my hair!  My hair has never felt so silky and soft.  I made my first batch of hair conditioner two weeks ago and added essential oils of rosemary, peppermint and lavender to help with my itchy and dry scalp.  After a few days, I noticed a difference not only in the softness of my hair but also the itch relief on my scalp.


Yesterday I decided to make a shampoo bar and another batch of hair conditioner.  I selected the hot process method (crock pot) for the shampoo bar because I wanted to be able to use it right away and also to make sure the essential oils I chose retained their potency.  In this case, I selected rose geranium EO.  I separated the three pound batch, adding the rose geranium EO and madder root powder to one pound and leaving the remaining two pounds unscented and free of colorants.

For the hair conditioner, I also added the rose geranium EO and madder root powder.  I read somewhere that madder root powder brings out a bit of red in brunettes and being a brunette I thought I'd try it.



The shampoo bar and conditioner smell wonderful and the shade of pink reminds me of rose quartz.   The fragrance of the rose geranium oil did linger in my hair.  My husband mentioned that shampoo bars would be great for traveling and camping so I'm trying to figure out how to make one that has more conditioning properties as well.

For the first batch, I used jojoba and sweet almond oil and in the second batch I just used sweet almond oil.  Both conditioners feel the same.  I may just stick with sweet almond oil.  My motto : less is more and in this case, the more I can cut out of the ingredient list, the better!



No comments:

Post a Comment